Publicising two post-doctoral positions:
Two post-doctoral fellowship positions are open at Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Lisbon, funded by the European Research Council, under the project “AXIAL.EC – id:679368”, coordinated by Claudio Franco.
Details of the vacancies and application process can be found in the attachment, as well as the links below:
deadline: 15 January 2017
deadline: 31 January 2017
Encontram-se abertas as inscrições para estágios de investigação na Microsoft Research Cambridge, Inglaterra.
São oferecidos estágios nas diversas áreas de informática e biologia computacional, nomeadamente machine learning, redes, sistemas, armazenamento, PL, compiladores, verificação, HCI, segurança, criptografia, etc.
Estes estágios dão aos alunos a oportunidade de tomar contacto com um laboratório de investigação de elevado prestígio e com ligações estreitas à indústria. Estágios bem sucedidos resultam por vezes num artigo científico e/ou em impacto num produto da Microsoft, além de toda a experiência acumulada durante o estágio.
O estágios são remunerados e têm a duração de 12 semanas, no caso de alunos de mestrado e doutoramento, e de 8 semanas para alunos de licenciatura. Domínio de inglês falado e escrito obrigatório.
As candidaturas estão abertas até 31 de Outubro de 2016, mas aconselha-se a candidatura na primeira fase (15 de Janeiro).
Mais informações: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/jobs/intern/about_uk.aspx
Os membros do PARSUK devem contactar directamente o Nuno Lopes (email@example.com) além de submeterem a candidatura on-line.
Publicising medical research funding opportunities from BIAL:
Meeting its mission to support medical research, the BIAL Foundation has just opened application to the 16th edition of BIAL Award.
This award establishes two prizes:
- BIAL Merit Award in Medical Sciences (€ 200 000) – designed to distinguish intellectual work written specifically for this purpose on any freely chosen medical topic. Only research of high quality and scientific relevance will be considered.
- BIAL Award in Clinical Medicine (€ 100 000) – designed to distinguish intellectual work written specifically for this purpose on any freely chosen medical topic involving clinical practice. Only work of high quality and relevance will be considered. At least one of the authors must be a native physician of a Portuguese-speaking country.
The deadline for submitting your application is August 31st, 2014. More information on how to apply and all the T&Cs in www.fundacaobial.com .
Biomedical Scientist Multi Disciplinary
Somerset (Taunton and Yeovil), United Kingdom
37.5 hrs p/w, roster shifts covering 24/7
- Salary £25,783.00 pa plus relocation support
- Flexible working patterns (including shift work and enhancements).
- Continued training in your specialist area with the possibility of acquiring multi-disciplinary skills.
- Opportunities for career progression.
- HCPC State Registration as a Biomedical Scientist in Blood Sciences (Chemistry / Haematology / Blood Transfusion). Temporary HCPC registration is acceptable.
- BSc (Hons) Biomedical degree of equivalent.
- Participation in CPD activities.
- IBMS Specialist Portfolio (or equivalent) in Blood Sciences subject.
- Greater than 2 years post registration experience of working in a Biomedical laboratory at post graduate level ideally with cross disciplinary experience including cross matching and issue of Blood and Blood Products.
- Experience of IT applications including LIMS systems, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Statistical packages.
- Advanced working knowledge of Blood sciences automated techniques and practices including Biochemistry/Haematology/ Coagulation /Immunology and Blood Transfusion analytical platforms.
- Competency to perform testing and validate results for Blood Sciences disciplines and in Blood transfusion duties to defined protocols.
The Biomedical Scientist position is open to an experienced, preferably multi-disciplinary trained, Scientist for the delivery of a fit-for-purpose service analysing and reporting on blood science materials in order to provide efficient and effective patient care in a team environment. Your roles and responsibilities will include:
- Performing routine and specialist Biomedical investigations to provide patients with the highest level of diagnosis and treatment within agreed quality standards of service delivery and turnaround times under the supervision of senior grade BMS grade staff.
- Being able to rotate through all areas of Chemistry / Haematology / Blood Transfusion as required.
- Providing professional leadership to Basic Grade, Trainee BMS, Associate Practitioners and Medical Laboratory Assistants.
- Participating in the out of hours rota after a period of training and preceptorship to provide a routine 24/7 service for Chemistry / Haematology including Blood Transfusion subject to service needs.
- Providing specialist technical advice to clinicians as to the appropriateness of tests and timescales.
Integrated Pathology Partnerships is dedicated to enabling UK healthcare organisations strengthen the quality, delivery and cost-effectiveness of pathology services and has made a significant investment in new laboratories and state of the art technology to provide an exemplar service in the South West. The hub laboratory is set to deliver non-urgent, routine testing to a population of over 500,000. It will form the centrepiece to the existing SPS network of laboratories that also deliver on-site, urgent testing for patients treated at the hospitals in Taunton and Yeovil. For details on the Somerset laboratory,
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
The Institute of Cancer Research is currently recruiting a range of fully-funded PhD studentships, mostly to start in Autumn 2014. Full details of the projects and how to apply are available at www.icr.ac.uk/education/research_students/phd_students. Applications close on Friday 29 November 2013.
Below please find a poster detailing the areas covered. Please could you circulate to any potentially interested students and recent alumni in relevant departments.
The Inflammation laboratory led by Miguel P. Soares at the Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência is looking for a post‑doctoral fellow for a period of 2-3 years, starting in 2014, under the European Research Council (ERC) 2011-Advanced Grant DAMAGECONTROL.
The Inflammation laboratory aims at understanding fundamental cellular and molecular mechanisms assuring that inflammation and immunity restore homeostasis in response to different forms of stress. Our recent work supports the notion that one central mechanism involved in this process relies on the expression of evolutionarily conserved stress-responsive genes limiting tissue damage. This protective mechanism, referred to as tissue damage control, uncouples inflammation and immunity from immunopathology and disease (Science 335, 936, 2012). Under the ERC Advanced Grant DAMAGECONTROL we are exploring how components of innate and adaptive immunity regulate stress-responsive programs that limit tissue damage and disease.
The successful candidate will be integrated in a multidisciplinary and highly interactive environment and will use a variety of experimental approaches spanning from molecular biology, biochemistry, live imaging and in vivo analyses of immune mediated inflammatory diseases in mice. Candidate should have a PhD with a strong background in molecular and cellular immunology. Background in biochemistry and cell imaging will be considered as a plus.
The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência hosts thirty-five independent research groups currently supported by an outstanding technical infrastructure at its free-standing campus in Oeiras, 20 km west of Lisbon, Portugal. Central services include state of the art-imaging facility, optical and electron microscopy, flow cytometry, bioinformatics and computing, extensive resources for experimental animal maintenance including SPF, germ-free and gnotobiotic facilities. The institute is generously supported by long-term commitments from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, and has substantial external competitive funding from national Portuguese and international sources including six European Research Council (ERC) Grants awarded in the past few years.
A competitive salary plus a medical insurance will be negotiated based on the candidate’s experience and track record. For specific information on Portuguese comparative price index please see: Link. Interested candidates should contact firstname.lastname@example.org with full curriculum vitae and publication list, as well as three contacts for reference letters. Applications will close on January 5th, 2014.